Client Grievances

What to do when you are unhappy with services:
  • Talk it over with your counselor, therapist, case manager or other professional. Sometimes problems can easily be resolved through communication.
  • Talk with the professional’s supervisor.
  • Talk with the agency’s Client Right’s Officer.  If the problem is still not resolved, this person can assist you in taking the appropriate action.
  • Call the Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services Board of Lorain County’s Client Rights Officer at(440) 282-9920
  • You also have the option of contacting the Client Rights Officer at the Ohio Mental Health and Addiction Services at (614) 466-2596  or (614) 752-9696 (TTY).